Sunday, 27 October 2013

On to the Next One

After the quiz from last week we continued our work in DrRacket and in class.

For class, after we were introduced to different types of computers and the binary numbers that runs the programs, we were introduced to the hardware, and its long history. We looked into how the hardware worked  using the Von Nemann model with its RAM processor, CPU, and how this PC design is enable to decode then store all the info into the different registrars inside the computer. We also learned about the issues surrounding the hardware, from its limits to malfunctions that can happen from time to time. With the recent lectures on computer designs and how they tend to run, I deducted that the hardware part was related to the computer in terms of running it, but it was still missing a few pieces before I could fully understand how the computer works. Hopefully the next few lessons would cap everything off afterwards.

Following that part we looked into the evolution of the hardware itself, from the actual model with the platter on top, to the CD roms to the flash drives. Each and every one of them were understandable, but the only thing I have to remind myself is that the disco on the original RAM is completely different to the CD rom: their drives are in circles and in spirals respectively. Apart from that, everything else is describable, easy to take notice and seems in shape to relate to other lectures taken in the past.

We moved into the DrRaket portion of the lecture where we learned how to deconstruct and reconstruct images by controlling their pixels. We learned to stretch and compress the images in respect to the amount of pixels the image has and change the opaqueness and the colors themselves in an image to produce something else. Personally, this has been so far the easiest DrRacket lesson, not because it's short, but that instead of long complex functions to shape out the final result, here we can only take what seems visual and physical of an image then simply rearrange it around. Easy as pie. Another thing I'd like to point out is that the only problem I have with the DrRacket program is that now I need to fully grasp the concept of map-image . I haven't yet to fully understand what it is, but luckily a look back from the past notes should help me clear it away. Hopefully.

That's all I have for this week. Unfortunately I won't be here next week, so I will have to make shift for the week after that and combine the two lessons together, my thoughts and my next steps for improvement if possible

No comments:

Post a Comment